Слова в любом языке делятся на части речи - классы, отличающиеся друг от друга по значению, форме и функциям, которые они выполняют в предложении. В английском языке обычно различают следующие части речи:
- существительные (nouns)
- местоимения (pronouns)
- прилагательные (adjectives)
- глаголы (verbs)
- наречия (adverbs)
- числительные (numerals)
- союзы (conjunctions)
- предлоги (prepositions)
- артикли (articles)
- междометие (interjection)
Parts of Speech
A part of speech explains how a word is used. In traditional English grammar, there are ten parts of speech.
Here are the eight parts of speech and their most common meanings:
- Noun: A noun is a word that names a person, place, or thing. A noun that names only one person, place, or thing is a singular noun. A noun that names more than one person, place, or thing is a plural noun. For example, automobile is a singular noun, while automobiles is a plural noun.
- Pronoun: A pronoun is a word that is used in place of a noun. Pronouns act just like nouns.
- Adjective: An adjective is a word that describes a noun. It can tell what kind or how many.
- Verb: A verb is a word that shows action. A present tense verb shows action that is happening now. A past tense verb shows action that has already happened. A future tense verb shows action that will happen.
- Adverb: An adverb is a word that describes a verb. It can tell how or when.
- Conjunction: A conjunction is a word that connects words in a sentence.
- Preposition: A preposition is a word that links and relates a noun or pronoun to another word in a sentence.
- Interjection: An interjection is a word that expresses emotion. It is usually an exclamation that is followed by an exclamation point (!). Sometimes, an interjection is followed by a comma (,).
- Numerals are words for numbers usedin English
- Articles. There are only three articles in English : a, an and the. There are two types of articles indefinite 'a' and 'an' or definite 'the'